Saturday, June 26, 2010

William Blake - The Little Black Boy

This poem talks focuses on a black child's perspective of learning what God is (love), who he is as a black child, and how pure love can transcend race.

"My mother bore me in the southern wild,
And I am black, but O! my soul is white
White as an angel is the English child:
But I am black as if bereav'd of light." (Lines 1 - 4)

Here the author is making the contrast between light and dark. The child's black skin compared the the whiteness of his soul; indicating the purity of his soul and love regardless of skin color.

"And we are put on earth a little space
That we may learn to bear the beams of love.
And these black bodies and this sun-burnt face
Is but a cloud, and like a shady grove.
For when our souls have learn'd the heat to bear
The cloud will vanish we shall hear his voice
And round my golden tent like lambs rejoice." (Lines 13 - 20)

These verses seems to suggest the mother's way of teaching him that skin color will not exist in heaven. That love transends all in heaven and to value relationships more than anything.

The last verse:
"And then Ill stand and stroke his silver hair,
And be like him and he will then love me." (Lines 27 - 28)

The child is showing he has received and understands the message his mother was teaching him. The boys explains to his friend that they will be equals once in heaven. I also believe the message is, we have a responsibility now (prior to death) to start this process and dialogue.

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I apparently had no clue what this poem was about!! Now I do. The poem always stuck out to me and now I think it's because I wanted to but never quite could break it down for myself. I absolutely love this blog post and admire your ability to understand the message of the writer. Having a different perspective to see from I definitely feel as though this poem fits perfectly in the songs of innocence portion of Blake's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words "These verses seems to suggest the mother's way of teaching him that skin color will not exist in heaven. That love transends all in heaven and to value relationships more than anything" could not have explained this poem any better. You offered a great analysis which was spot on and illuminating to the average reader aka me! :) I loved this poem which is such a great representation of Martin Luther King's philosophy. All men are created equal. Bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    Good insights and observations on Blake's poem. You do a nice job of focusing on and discussing specific passages in your exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The insights of your has really helped me understand this poem. The details of all the lines and how they seem to be illustrated by you makes it very clear to me now.

    ReplyDelete