Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dorothy Wordsworth - Thoughts on My Sick-bed

This author gave me somewhat a different perspective on affliction. I found it encouraging how she seemed to escape her physical tabernacle riddled with limitations to explore the world through endless, vibrant memories.

I was intrigued since the text referred to her mental state as "pre-senile dementia." (Page 291) My grandmother has Alzheimer's and this verse reminded me how I felt when I realized she had it:

Ah! Say not so--the hidden life
Couchant within the febble frame
Hath been enriched by kindred gifts,
That, undesired, unsought-for, came (Page 293 - Line 5)

Perhaps like the writer, I didn't want to believe it (say not so). The "hidden life" refers to memories I had of her that I wasn't sure she would ever have of me again.. The text seems to suggest the writer may have been plagued with the same thoughts. The verse "hath been enriched by kindred gifts" seemingly speaks to the special moments experienced with her family and/or brother. For me, my life has been enriched by the gifts she's given me.
This may not be the author's interpretation of this piece, but it was mine.

The verses speak of having a "joyful heart in youthful days" (Page 293 - line 10), "daffodil dancing in the breeze," and "companions of nature we were." All of these lines envision the happier days with her loved one, enjoying nature to its fullest. From a personal perspective, these lines help me envision the carefree "play" I enjoyed with my grandmother. I loved the way she used nature to shape my vision of the world as a youngster and its beauty through flowers, gardening, and harvesting.

The verse:
"No prisioner in this lonely room, I saw the green Banks of the Wye, Recalling thy prophetic words, Bard, Brother, Friend from infancy!"

This verse seems to speak to how powerful the mind really is. Wordsworth seems to still cherish her brother's memory and the bond in which they shared. This correlates to the bond I will always share with my grandparents because of the memories of their life, love, and legacy.
"And with this memory I was there." - (Page 294- Line 52)

5 comments:

  1. Very nice first post, Angela!

    I particularly like the way you do two things in your post, and I would encourage you to continue those approaches in subsequent posts. First, you focus on specific passages in a single poem by Dorothy Wordsworth, quote the passages, and discuss them. That type of focus and specificity produces much more insightful analysis than would generalizations about the poem as a whole, or all of her works. Second, you connect the events in the poem or author's life to your own experience with your grandmother. That sort of connection to your own life helps you to make a deeper connection to and analysis of the poem.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I think that your interpretation of the text was really insightful. I also wrote about this text and found it amazing how she was able to find so much beauty around her even though she was afflicted with illness. Instead of feeling pity for herself and wanting others to take pity on her, she chose only to focus on the joyous times of her past..I also found this inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your blog of the text. I especially liked the fact that you focused on the power of the mind and Dorothy's interpretation of nature and her surroundings. Personally I know that when I have been going through things in life and I don't have the option of physically moving or getting away from my surroundings I envision happier times and it helps me to get through the present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post and am sad to say that I, also, have a grandparent with Alzheimer's. I'm so sorry. I, too, was inspired by how Dorothy dealt with her affliction though. The way she found strength in reminiscing reminded me very much of the protagonist in "Michael" who also relied on happier times to keep going. I think it's a very wise approach to enduring what might otherwise be intolerable. I'll need to bear that in mind for future reference because I know sometimes I'm guilty of getting lost in the moment, particularly bad moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your comments about the poem because it is always so fascinating to see how other readers view poems. Actually when I read what you wrote about this poem it became clear of what she was saying when she mentioned some of the quotes that you wrote about so good choice. I think this blog is right on the money.

    ReplyDelete