Saturday, June 26, 2010

Alfred Lord Tennyson - Crossing the Bar

Death is something we all must face on day and I believe Tennyson does a nice job of showing his thoughts and journey towards his death.

The author writes: "Sunset and evening star, and one clear call for me! Any may there be no moaning on the bar, when I put out to sea." (Line 1 - 5) This suggests he recognizes the call to death. The sandbar representing the cross over to the other side to death which is his final resting place.

"Twilight and evening bell, and after that the dark! And may there be no sadness of farewell, when I embark." (Line 9 - 12). Tennyson realizes he has approached his last curtain call of life. He doesn't want anyone to be sad when he dies. This is a normal reaction of not wanting our loved ones to hurt, but in most cases not reality to our family and friends who love us.

The author writes: "I hope to see my Pilot face to face when I have crost the bar." (Line 15, 16). He's suggesting he hopes to see God and his angels directing his through the transition to death. This represents the spiritual journey verses the physical journey. Symbolically, I thought of the cross that Jesus died on when reading (crost the bar) in this passage.

3 comments:

  1. I wish less people were afraid of dying because clearly there is a call to death. Tennyson is wise to see that. I hope I just remain as strong when I approach the final curtain. It WOULD be interesting to see "my Pilot face to face when I have crost the bar." (Line 15, 16). What you added in about Jesus is what I was raised to think of, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,

    Good poem to discuss, and it is clear from what you write after each quotation that you understand the poem. Your contributions seem at time more like a paraphrase of the passages than analysis of them, though. Try to add more insights to the poem, rather than repeating its points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the poems we were assigned to read, this one was the easiest to comprehend. It was not crowded with many antiquated words or too much figurative language. It also had a message that anyone can relate to so that may have helped in making it so clear to me. We live and we die....no need to make that a difficult piece poetry.

    ReplyDelete