Monday, June 14, 2010

Samuel T. Coleridge - Frost At Midnight

What a beautiful piece of work! I could only think of Father's day this Sunday when I read this poem.


This poem, written from a father's perspective, highlights the intimate thoughts and relationship between a father and his son. He appears to chronicle the thoughts of his life as he watches and listens to his child and family sleep:


"The inmates of my cottage, all at rest,
Have left me to solitude, which suits
Abstruser musings; save that at my side
My cradles infant slumbers peacefully. (Lines 4 - 7)


This reminds me of meditating; when I enter a space where all is peaceful and you can take a walk through memory lane without any distractions. I picture him being in this same meditative state.


Coleridge goes on to say:
"With unclosed lids, already had I dreamt
Of my sweet birth-place, and the old church-tower"
"Whose bells, the poor man's only music, rang
From morn to evening, all the hot Fair-day" (Line 28 - 32)


He seems to be reminicing on the sights, sounds, and memories of his birthplace in the city. Even though these thoughts seemed to be pleasant time for him, he marvels that his son is being raised in a quiet sanctuary of nature. I visualize as a sprawling countryside free from the hustle of city life; very serene and peaceful.


Coleridge writes:
"For I was reared in a great city, pent mid cloisters dim,
And saw nought lovely but the sky and stars.
But thou, my babe! shalt wander like a breeze
By lakes and sandy shores, beneath the clouds" (Lines 53 - 57)


He goes on to suggest that he is optimistic about his son's future upbringing by saying, each season will be "sweet to thee." (Line 66)


This piece really moved me. It is rare to get into the head of a proud father when he believes no one is listening, and hear the innocent truth of their thoughts. What a fortunate son!

3 comments:

  1. I also wrote about this passage. I found Coleridge's thoughts to be very true when he talks about how much the child will benefit because he will be raised in the country, and he will have the opportunity to connect with nature in a way that his father was unable to because of his city upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you said it best when you said, "What a fortunate son!" Sadly, not all kids have such good experiences with their parents, but of course nothing is as precious. I agree with what you said about the meditation. The poem started off so peacefully and reminded me of when I like to spend my time outside doing yoga getting lost in contemplation. It's so rare, but it's the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    Very good discussion of Coleridge's poem. You make several insightful observations about the poet's feelings as a father here, and also support and illustrate your insights with textual evidence effectively.

    ReplyDelete