Sunday, June 27, 2010

Gerard Manley Hopkins - Thou Art Indeed Just, Lord

The speaker seems to be agonizing as to why his season of prosper has not come in light of his committment to God and his word.

The author writes: "Thou are indeed just, Lord, if I contend
With thee; but, sir, so what I plead is just.
Why do sinners' ways prosper? and why must
Disappointment all I endeavor end? (Lines 1 - 4)

The opening line shows he is giving honage to God as a just God. Even though he knows God is just, he appears to be struggling with why he has not prospered in the things he has asked for and those living a less religious or spirtual life appears to be prospering. While the writer is questioning God, it appears he's still be respectful by referring to God as sir.

I was at a time in my life when I knew God already had worked out a plan for the adversity in my life. I was ready for him to work it out on "my" time rather than his. I believe this is the writer's struggle right now. Faith is not knowing God can, but knowing God will.

Line 14 says: "Mine, O thou lord of life, send my roots rain."
It seems the writer is saying, give me strength. I know I'm weak and the only way I can get past this is to have you give me strength.

5 comments:

  1. I like this post very much because it clarified some of the poem for myself even after I had read it a few times. It seemed that Hopkins was often posing question especially dealing with his faith even though he knew one thing he seemed to at times feel another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people ask themselves this question a lot-- if they're doing all that God wants them to, why don't they get to do all that they desire to? Why do things keep going wrong? You seem to have a lot of faith, and I really respect that. My mom is very similar in that regard. She consistently insists God is just and I admire that kind of unwavering faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    Congratulations on completing your 20 posts! And further congratulations on doing such a good job on them, with evidence of close reading, sensitive emotional engagement with the poems, and an awareness of your own readers. I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote similarly about this poem. It seemed like such a personal poem--a cry of help. Hopkins really struggled with the idea that he did not have a large audience for his poetry. I personally enjoy poems that are written on a more personal basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this post since it helped me understand more meaning to the poems. It showed many examples in which I did not see myself but now see very well and understand the peom

    ReplyDelete