Tuesday, June 15, 2010

John Keats - The Living Hand

In reading "This Living Hand" by Keats I had mixed interpretations of the author's intent of the piece. Initially, I felt Keats was sensing his impending death and was desperate to impart the urgency of action. He wrote:
"This living hand, now warm and capable
Of earnest grasping, would, if it were cold
And in the icy silence of the tomb,"

It seems he was uring someone to take advantage of his touch or they would be "haunted" with regret by not doing so after he died or even wished they had died with him.

"So haunt thy days and chill they dreaming nights
That thou would wish thine own heart dry of blood
So in my veins red life might stream again,
And thou be conscience calm'd -- she here it is --
I hold it towards you"

This could be his final attempt t make the physical connection needed prior to death.

My second impression of the piece was the "living hand" may be an oxymoron of his work penned (by hand) in life which still lives after his death (life).

The text states:
"So in my veins red life might stream again." (Line 6) It seems this may be an analogy of the lines or message of his poetry will continue to flow through the readings of his work for many years to come.

Lastly, "I hold it towards you" (Line 8) is possibly the author offering his body of work to mankind to experience.

I don't know if either of my interpretations was the author's intent. But the piece did make me think holistically; which may be the author's ultimate intent!

4 comments:

  1. Angela,

    Good effort in this post to explore and speculate on the meaning of Keats's interesting and haunting short poem. I like the way you quote specific passages and suggest possible meaning for them. Whether you reach a definitive answer to your speculations or not, it is always best to start with what the text says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your post to be very interesting. The fact that you could come up with two different interpretations and apply it to different lines of the poem was insightful. I think that either interpretation would fit well with this passage...it's hard to really pick which one would be considered the "right" one, but either one provides much insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem gave me chills. I am of the mind that it is in fact about the physical connection needed prior to death, as you pointed out. I was actually the last person to hold my grandfather's hand before he passed away, and this reminded me of that. It was nothing short of unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your interpretations and the views that you have established. I couldn't have said it better myself

    ReplyDelete